Next week we will be closed Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving.
What is mulch made of and used for?
Unless you are a landscaping professional or an experienced gardener, the chances are that your knowledge of all the landscaping materials and their applications is more limited. At All Around Soil & Stone, we want to cover some basics to help you get started with your landscaping or gardening project in the Denver Metro Area. Today, we’ll talk about mulches.
Technically speaking, mulch is any material that can be spread or laid over the surface of the soil as a cover. It can be composed of inorganic or organic materials such as bark or wood chips, grass clippings, shredded leaves, compost and manure, pine needles, and hay. Organic mulches are most commonly used in gardening and landscaping.
Benefits of using mulch for landscaping
Mulches bring many benefits to your yard, including:
- Weed Control: A well-applied mulch layer helps to inhibit weed germination and growth.
- Soil Moisture Control: Mulches retain soil moisture, protecting your plants from drying out quickly. They also contribute to preventing erosion of the soil around the plant’s bed.
- Soil Temperature Regulation: Mulches can also help moderate extreme soil temperature fluctuations. In cold winter areas, it protects the roots of the plants from extreme cold and helps prevent frost-heaving, while in warmer zones, it helps keep plant roots cooler.
- Provide nutrients naturally: Depending on the type of organic mulch that you use, it can act as a nutrient boost for your garden as it decomposes over time.
- Improve the look of your garden or landscaped yard: There are many types and colors of mulches, so you can use that to your advantage to make the flower or garden beds look more attractive with different textures and colors.
Choosing the right type of mulch for your project depends on what the climate is like where you live and also on which part of the yard you’ll be using it. At All Around Soil & Stone, we have all the mulch supplies in Northern Denver that you’ll ever need to create and maintain the yard or garden of your dreams.
We can deliver all over the Denver Metro area, but if you prefer to pick up the mulch materials yourself, we have our landscaping materials pick-up yard in Broomfield. Browse our website to see all the mulch products in Denver that we carry and a gallery of our completed projects.