A beautiful garden never happens by chance. Even the smallest of yards or landscapes can be functional, practical, and appealing if they are planned well. It’s also vital to use good quality products that are durable, long-lasting, and easy to install. Most people like to install pathways and walkways in the outdoor areas of their property, and here, we discuss the different garden path materials you can use in these installations to improve garden flow.
Popular Rocks and Stones for Beautiful Garden Pathways
Some common garden path materials used include:
- Flagstone is a widely used material in landscapes and is available in various styles.
- Cobblestone lends a classic and rustic look and is hardy and durable too.
- Sand and gravels are a little more discreet. They are excellent for smaller paths, to distinguish them from main stone walkways.
- You can also opt for natural stone, brick, or concrete pavers. They come in various shapes, sizes, designs, and styles.
Design Considerations for Pathways and Walkways
Installing DIY garden walkways or paths is not a very complex process, and no heavy machinery is required. All it needs is some creativity, effort, time, and elbow grease. However, if you want a truly unique installation, you need to keep some design considerations in mind, such as:
- Create motion by laying the path in a wavy pattern. It will add perspective and depth to the space, which is even more crucial if you have a compact yard space.
- For gravel and sand paths, consider outlining them with larger decorative rocks. These rocks create better visual impact.
- Make sure that the width of the path or walkway is proportionate to the size of the yard.
- Similarly, make sure that the materials used for surfacing these areas are also proportionate to the pathway itself. For example, if you have a narrow pathway, do not use very large flagstone slabs, as they will take away from its beauty. Instead, install smaller pavers that will enhance the appeal of your narrow path.
No matter what type of DIY garden walkways and pathways you want installed in your landscape, it’s a good idea to contact experienced professionals like us for the job. Our team will work with you, provide information on various products, and help you pick ones that will suit your needs and budget the best.
We will also handle the installation to industry standards so that your landscape has sustainable and easy to maintain features. For information regarding various paving products and our landscaping services, feel free to contact us at All Around Soil & Stone today.