There are times when people with more compact yards feel that they can’t use the space well. It’s possible to design this place by using the right elements and features to create areas that will be attractive, well laid out, and more functional as well.
However, this is not something that can happen by chance. Landscaping small yards can take as much attention to detail and effort as a larger space can. In fact, you might have to make a little more effort and use your creativity and skill to design a smaller backyard.
Tips for Landscaping a Small Yard
Here are some useful tips that you can follow while designing this space:
- Incorporate the right amount of hardscaping and softscaping to create a well-balanced area.
- It is easier to maintain hardscaping elements and structures such as retaining walls, garden steps, pathways, and walkways. Use these judiciously; intersperse them with living features such as plants, shrubs, trees, a lawn, etc.
- In a compact space, you can use a decorative element to create a focal point in your yard.
- To create a more balanced look in the outdoor areas, do not overcrowd them. Even your plants need a sufficient amount of space to breathe and thrive.
- Leave some open space so that you can move around and enjoy it. Depending on the layout and the available area, you can also use it to entertain guests.
- Proper planning also involves having installations that create the illusion of space. For example, install curving pathways around angles and corners and install hanging plants so that the ground space is left free for use.
- Another way to incorporate plants cleverly in a smaller yard is to create living walls. This involves building a wall where you plant a few vines and creepers so that you still have the greenery that you need without using the actual yard space.
- Use good quality products and materials so that your outdoor spaces will look good and stay resilient.
Benefits of Planning Your Small Yard Thoughtfully
There are various landscaping tips you can follow to make the best use of your small backyard. When you have well-planned outdoor areas, you will be more inclined to use them.
The other major benefit of having a well-planned yard is that it will uplift the beauty and value of your home as well. For customized landscaping services, feel free to contact us with your requirements.