To Seal or Not to Seal Pavers?
Outdoor areas with pavers, especially patios have become a favorite part of the landscaping projects in Colorado for the last fifteen years. They are mostly used around the pool, in the backyard, on driveways, pathways, patios, porches, among others, because they boost the curb appeal of your home or any other landscape. Sealing your pavers will make your investment last longer.
Benefits of Sealing Pavers
- Makes pavers resistant to stains from spilled oil, liquids, dirt, among many others
- Protects against the elements like sun UV rays, rain, snow, and ice
- Helps to keep their natural color intact
- Makes cleaning easier, faster and cheaper than not sealing
- Reduces the chances of moss and weeds growing over them
- Can make them look flawless and shine for longer
Types of Paver Sealers
Sealers are offered in two main types, solvent-based sealers, and water-based sealers.
Solvent Based Paver Sealers
Solvent-based sealers are normally composed of an acrylic polymer blend with a varying amount of solids in them that determine the coating level or thickness you will get after applying. Also, they give a thicker, higher gloss appearance than water based sealers. You can find them in Matte, Semi-Gloss, and High Gloss shine.
Water Based Paver Sealers
These type of sealers also contain acrylic polymers, but with lower solid content than its counterpart. You can spray the sealer on the surface which often gives more consistent and uniform coverage.
Things to Consider When Sealing Your Pavers
- Wait for three weeks before sealing new pavers.
- When resealing pavers, be sure to use the same paver sealer that was originally applied.
- Make sure to pull weeds growing within paver joints before starting with the sealing process.
- Before applying the sealant, sweep, power wash, and dry your pavers.
- Wait a whole day after applying the final coat before walking over the newly sealed pavers.
Now that you know why it is best to seal your pavers, we hope that you keep your property looking new and attractive. At All Around Soil and Stone, you will find the best landscaping supplies in Colorado. Check out our products so you can start with your landscaping project today!