Everyone wants their outdoor space to look presentable and beautiful. They want the environment to be well-lit, comfortable, and suitable for different kinds of activities like hosting parties, playing games, spending time with family, and more. You need good outdoor lighting to carry out all of these activities safely after dark.
Outdoor Lighting Ideas
It is essential to approach outdoor lighting strategically to ensure the lights aren’t too bright but still keep the area well-illuminated. Here are some tips that can help:
Focused Lighting – Focused lights are bright and ensure you have good visibility. They should be installed along the stairs, near pools, driveways, walkways, and other such areas. They allow you to navigate through the property safely, even in the dark. These lights are an essential part of small yard landscaping.
- Ambient Lights – Ambient lights are softer and more dispersed than focused lights. They create a beautiful, comfortable environment, so you aren’t sitting in complete darkness but don’t need to deal with harsh lights. Ambient lighting should be installed in patios, decks, near swimming pools etc. to ensure they have soft illumination.
- Decorative Lights – Decorative lights are there to add a little bit of fun and playfulness to the environment. They don’t serve any specific purpose like task and ambient lights. You can install hanging lanterns on trees, wrap some areas in fairy lights, and include other decorative lights in the landscape.
The outdoor lighting theme for different areas should be different. You can contact us for questions about how to approach this for a specific area or feature in your outdoor spaces.
Patio Lighting Tips
Patios are some of the most active outdoor spaces in homes. There is where families relax, entertain, or have fun. Here are some lighting tips that can help:
- All Three Types of Lighting – Include all three types of lighting in different areas of the patio based on how you use them. For example, a bar, outdoor kitchen, or other functional spaces need a task or focused lighting. Lounge areas will need ambient and decorative lights.
- Use LED – LED is the best choice for outdoor installations because it is durable, reliable, and consumes less energy. It also comes in a wide range of colors and temperatures. You can have some variation on your property.
- Choose Waterproof Fixtures – Choose light fixtures that are specifically designed for outdoor use. They are waterproof and built to handle harsh conditions.
Lights are an essential element of small yard landscaping, so you need to plan to ensure the outdoors always look presentable.